Using xandr -- Re: problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 11 03:51:16 UTC 2010

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 January 2010 14:21:19 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> On 01/05/2010 05:39 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry to jump in this thread, but have you tried to use xrandr to set up
>>> the resolution you want? That way you don't need to generate xorg.conf,
>>> and can convince X to give you any resolution you want (if supported by
>>> hardware).
>>>
> [...]
> Post the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, so we can see what is the problem with
> autodetection of the external display, and your desired configuration, and then
> we'll see what is the best way to fix it.
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

Marko:

I captured the output of both /var/log/Xorg.0.log and xrandr when
booting up with the KVM pointed to the machine ("*__FOCUS") and pointed
to another machine (actually, a turned-off machine) ("*__NO_FOCUS)

Pretty clear to me that its doing a "default" lower res setting if it
doesn't see the monitor during the boot.

I read the xrandr and "think" that what I want to do is (based on the
example "Forces to use a 1024x768 mode on an output called VGA ..."):

xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1680x1050

If presume that this stays with the machine and is not session based
(don't know where the info goes, don't know if I care).

I wanted to check to see if I am understanding xrandr correctly and if
all I need is this one command since it already knows about DVD-I-1 and
the 1680x1050 resolution.

My other question is I noticed that I seem to be hooked up so my single
monitor is coming out of DVI-I-1 and not DVD-I-0. Haven't had any
problems with such, so I am assuming either DVI can be used if there is
only one monitor. But I thought I would ask in case there is something I
don't know about the system which would want me to move to DVI-I-0.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

ps: attachments enclosed ... first time rejected as I forgot to gzip ...
do I tarballed and gzipped them up, hope this is acceptable for second try.