"Gravely" audio on recorded video

steve networks1 at cox.net
Fri Jan 22 21:31:10 UTC 2010

Hello.  I have a new Mythtv setup for recording video.  Everything is
working, but I am having problems with the audio playback.  Specifically, on
playback the audio sounds "gravely." This is hard to describe, but it's like
there are very frequent short drop-outs.  This happens not only when I play
back via Mythtv, but also when I play the mpeg via the Totem movie player in
Gnome.

To rule out the possibility that the capture device (HDPVR) is defective, I
copied the mpeg file onto a windoze machine and played it, and the audio
sounds fine.  To rule out some problem with the audio hardware, I played a
CD on the linux box, which also sounds fine.

So somehow the problem only occurs when playing the audio from mpeg files.
Mythtv is configured to use ALSA for output.  I don't know if Totem uses
that too.  The hardware is the onboard audio on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
mobo.  It's got an Intel chipset and the manual says it uses a Realtek
ALC889A codec.  The system is a new FC12 build.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be and/or how to troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Steve