Subject:,Re: QTParted - normal behaviour or BZ?

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 31 10:34:16 UTC 2010

On 01/31/2010 01:35 AM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> Re: QTParted - normal behaviour or BZ?
> From:
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>
> Date:
> Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:54:52 +1100
>
> To:
> Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk, Community support for Fedora users
> <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>

> | Question: is it correct/normal behaviour for an app just to vanish,
> | rather than to give an error indication?
>
> Only statisticly. Someone's been a bit lazy. Of course it should give an
> error indication.
>

> | Should it be BZed?
>
> "BZ"ed?

BugZilla-ed!

> Re: QTParted - normal behaviour or BZ?
> From:
> Marc Wilson <msw at cox.net>
> Date:
> Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:35:00 -0800
>
> To:
> Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 2:58 PM, DB<Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:
>

>> >  Question: is it correct/normal behaviour for an app just to vanish,
>> >  rather than to give an error indication?  Should it be BZed?
>>
> It*does*  give an error message.  Your argument is instead that it
> should produce a shiny dialog box that you have to click on, vs a
> terse announcement on STDERR.
>
> If it's*supposed*  to produce that shiny dialog box (quick look at
> source will tell you), and it doesn't, then it should have a bug filed
> against it with Fedora.  If it's not supposed to, and you think it
> should, then it's an upstream request.

Thanks,  I assume/expect (innocent that I am!) that a GUI would give me
a GUI indication - even if it was only a redirect of STDERR ; after all,
it starts off its "looking at the drive" window & then vanishes.  I
would hope (NOT being a designer/programmer) that it would come back to
the top window, showing the available drives, so that I had the choice
of continuing with it.

Thanks to you both for your clarifications, I'll see what I can do next!

Dave